About the Planning and Zoning Commission:
- How to Address the P&Z Commission
- P&Z Agendas and Minutes
Planning and Zoning Commission Members:
The Planning & Zoning Commission meets on the first Monday of each month at 6:00 PM (check out the calendar for the full schedule – sometimes meetings are canceled or postponed). The public is welcome to attend.
Assist the City Council in managing orderly growth, administering development regulations, planning for transportation improvements, and promoting affordable housing opportunities in the City of Tom Bean.
- Make sure that current zoning and subdivision ordinances are being followed as closely as possible.
- To be involved in the Planning and Zoning application process, and to review plats of growth areas and subdivisions and present clear direction/checklist on how to complete requirements for the City and State of Texas.
- To adopt codes and amendments to existing ordinances to current standards.
- To adopt a comprehensive plan of growth for the City of Tom Bean.
- To review and approve applications for special exceptions to subdivisions and site plans, variances and present same to the City Council for final approval.
- The board is a recommendation arm to the City Council and approval from the board is necessary for the Council to proceed on a zoning issue.
Qualifications to Serve:
The Planning and Zoning board shall be composed of five (5) persons who shall be a resident of the City or reside within ten (10) miles of the municipality’s boundaries and active in the Tom Bean business community for at least one (1) year prior to appointment.
All vacancies occurring shall be filled by appointment by a majority vote of the Council. No member of the City Council or any other person related within the second degree by affinity or the third degree by consanguinity to a member of the City Council shall be appointed to this Commission. You may read more about this in the ordinance below.
When board vacancies are available, we encourage you to apply to serve online.